Five Great New Podcasts
Welcome to the 125th edition of Find That Pod.
As we begin to approach the end of a long and hot summer, at least I the part of the world that I’m in, I’m left pondering some questions and musings:
- Will COVID-19 ever come to an end or just something we have to live with because of the anti-vaxxers?
- Is the Joe Rogan podcast ACTUALLY losing influence as this Verge article seems to suggest?
- As hot as this summer has been, will it prove to be the coolest summer of our future lives?
- I mused out loud on twitter as to how many podcasts you all subscribe to, and I have to say I was a bit surprised with the results.
Here are this week’s recommendations:
The Golden Goats
I’m always on the lookout for podcasts that take the format and do something a bit different with it. That’s why I was happy to see this show pick an ad spot because it exposed me to a comedy podcast that creates a potent mix of laughter and movie reviews. But not movie reviews in your usual sense. The Golden Goats podcast features two pals, Ben Frederick and Alan Byrne ranking Five movies in extremely obscure and overly specific categories. Here’s some premises they’ve already run with:
- Top 5 films set almost entirely on a train
- Top 5 films nominated for an Oscar with an actor called Oscar
- Top 5 films featuring a character with one eye
Well, you get the picture. Make sure to check out this unusual, entertaining, and rather different podcast.
Is We Dumb?
I’ve now been thoroughly indoctrinated into the Bad Magic Productions universe of podcasts, and this is yet another awesome, laugh-out loud comedy show that I’m really enjoying. Comedians Dan Cummins and Joe Paisley take on some of the worst, best, and dumbest content that the Internet has to offer. Along the way they laugh at the possible collapse of society, I mean what the hell else are we going to do right? Their ongoing segments are smart, creative and never fail to make me laugh. Highly recommend.
You Must Remember This
Former LA Weekly film critic Karina Longworth takes on a new, often forgotten and intriguing story from the first century of Hollywood in this fantastic, narrative driven podcast that blends, what must be a lot of in-depth research with some great story-telling chops. Explore some of the most fascinating stories of glamour, scandal, and a Hollywood era gone by.
The Common Descent Podcast
What happens when you get two palaeontologists and science communicators together in one room? A pretty great podcast it turns out! With a focus on fossils, evolution and the history of life, this show has a lot to offer to fans of nerdy life science. Well-researched, inviting and featuring some great chemistry between the hosts. Educate yourself on the wonders of billions of years of evolution.